Books about Black British History
- Staying Power-The History of Black people in Britain by Peter Fryer
(Pluto Press 1984)
- Black England-Life before Emancipation by Gretchen Gerzina
- Black Settlers in Britain 1555-1958 by Nigel File and chris Power
(Heinemann,1981; reprinted 1995)
- Black Edwardians-Black people in Britain 1901-1914 by Jeffrey Green
(Frank Cass 1998)
- Wonderful adventures of Mary Seacole in Many Lands by Mary seacole
(1857; reprinted by Falling Wall Press,edited by Ziggy Alexander and Audrey Dewjee,1984).
- Black Londoners 1880-1990by susan Okokon
(Sutton Publishing Limited, 1998)
- The History of Mary Prince, a West Indian Slave
(1831; reprinted by the University of Michigan Press, edited by Moira Ferguson,1993).
- The first Black footballer-Arthur Wharton 1865-1930 An Absence of Memory by Phil Vasili
(frank Cass,1998, reprinted 1999)
- Colouring over the white Line- The History of Black footballers in Britain by Phil Vasili
- Breaking Stereotypes-Perspectives of Selected Black and Asian Leaders Edited by Clinton A.Valley,EdD.
(Minerva Press, 2000)
- West Indian Women at War-British Racism in World War II by Ben Bousquet and Colin Douglas
(Lawrence and Wishhart, 1991)
- Roots of the Future-Ethnic Diversity in the making of Britain
By Commission for Racial Equality, 1997
- England Affric-An Ethnological Survey by Ahmed ali and Abrahim Ali
(Punite Books, 1995) ISBN 0 9518924 4 4
- A History of the Black Presence in London (Greater London Council, 1986)
ISBN 0 7168 1679 2
- Black and white- the Negro and English Society 1555-1945 By James Walvin
(Allen Lane, 1973)
For a more exhaustive list of useful Books on Black History, you can download a copy of the the Black & Asian Resources available at the British Library.
Buy Black History Books at Amazon